I am a regular Facebook user but despite being a regular user. I find its privacy settings quite confusing.The Facebook team keeps on bringing the new updates on site and with every update, privacy settings need to be changed and that is actually very dreary. Securing your Facebook account is always a good idea. We may use 3rd-party tools like Norton Safe Web, Facebook Privacy Scanner, BitDefender or we may do so manually.
Facebook Privacy Watcher is a Firefox addon that will help you with your Facebook Privacy. It has a very simple interface and helps me greatly to manage my privacy settings on my favorite social networking website.
How Does Facebook Privacy Watcher Work
The privacy settings in Facebook are very detailed and thus it becomes even more important to keep a watch on them. The detailed privacy settings in Facebook allow you to set the audience for each of your Timeline update. You can change the settings for every update on your timeline.
Facebook Privacy Watcher colors all of your information on your timeline according to its visibility to audience. With these different colors you can instantly check if your privacy settings are fine or need to be changed.
How To Install Facebook Privacy Watcher
- After installing the add-on Facebook Privacy Watcher you need to restart your browser to get it activated.
- After restarting your browser, you will get an icon on the top right corner. Hover your mouse over it and click on ‘Activate’.
- Now click on ‘Read Privacy Settings’ and a new tab will open with your Facebook profile checking your privacy settings. The add-on will notify you with a pop-up when it is ready to use.
How To Use The Add-On
When the add-on is done with reading your privacy settings on your Facebook profile you will see different colors with each of your update on your Timeline.
To enable the add-on, choose “Activate” from the drop down menu. A new tab with your profile is opened. You can recognize the opened tab by its blue color. After the page is loaded, the entries in your profile are colored according to their privacy settings.
There is a different color set for visibility status of your update-
- Green Light – Your data is visible to everyone on Facebook
- Orange Light – Your data is visible only to your friends
- Red Light – The data is visible only to you.
- Blue Light – The data is visible to some set of your friends.
If these are not the settings you want, you can change them right away. Just click on any color and a color wheel will appear. Change your settings by selecting the desired color. You can also customize the setting according to your preference. For example you can change the colors for each setting, time etc.
Facebook Privacy Watcher is indeed a very useful add-on for Firefox users – but it is not yet available from the official Firefox addons gallery. But you may still, try installing it to keep a watch on your Facebook privacy settings.
If you’d like to you can download Official Facebook Security Guide here.