Microsoft launched a website couple of days back to give you reasons for switching from Yahoo Mail to Hotmail. Hotmail already supports many other email providers through which you can import your email account to Hotmail but for Free Yahoo Mail account which does not support POP, we need to use a third-party service. We use service from the vendor called TrueSwitch, which has already been discussed here on TWC. This website helps us to migrate from almost ANY email account to a select number of email accounts for free.
To give you an illustration, lets try to migrate a Yahoo mail account to Hotmail:
- To do so, visit thet TrueSwitch site
- Enter your Free Yahoo Mail account details under the “Enter the address and password of the account you’re copying from:”
- Enter your Hotmail account details under the “Enter the address (@hotmail.com or @live.com) and password you’re copying to:”
- Click on “Copy to Windows Live Hotmail”
- You will see a congratulations window which will confirm your action.
- All your yahoo details along with the contacts will be migrated in 24 hours.
But there are 3 caveats !
- If you have free Yahoo mail account say of [email protected] or [email protected] then you will get an error message.
In short you will be able to migrate ONLY from the following mail accounts / domains:
aim.com, ameritech.net, aol.com, att.net, bellsouth.net, comcast.net, cs.com, earthlink.net, flash.net, gmail.com, googlemail.com, hotmail.com, juno.com, juno.net, live.com, mac.com, msn.com, netzero.com, netzero.net, nvbell.net, optonline.net, pacbell.net, peoplepc.com, prodigy.net, q.com, qwest.net, rocketmail.com, sbcglobal.net, sbcyahoo.net, snet.net, swbell.net, verizon.net, wans.net, yahoo.com, ymail.com, yahoo.ca, live.ca, hotmail.ca.
This means that using this service you can’t switch your @yahoo.in or @yahoo.co.in and many other such.
- The second caveat or twist in the story you will see when you are trying to import your Yahoo Mail account to the Live powered domains and mails i.e. if you have a [email protected] powered mail account or an enterprise account then it will not work. To confirm this I tried our local UG email address which is powered by Windows Live and it returned the error.
As far as Windows Live services are concerned, this service will allow you to migrate to the following domains only:
hotmail.com, hotmail.ca, msn.com, live.com, live.ca, q.com
In short, local domains like live.in, etc are not supported! The service thus works for limited set of domains as of now.
- Finally, the service doesn’t sync your Calendars. You will have to do so manually.
As can be seen, TrueSwitch also allows you to switch to Gmail, Yahoo, Comcast, AOL and other domains too, apart from Windows Live Hotmail.