If you have an Outlook Premium subscription, you can create a personalized email ID. It is possible to create a customized domain email address even if you have Office 365 Home or Personal subscription. Also, you need to use GoDaddy as your domain registrar.
When you are creating a professional business online, you should have a custom email ID like email@example.com instead of firstname.lastname@example.org. Earlier, it was possible to create a custom email ID for free. Now, that facility is gone as Microsoft has been offering almost the same service with Office 365 subscription. Therefore, if you want to create an email ID with your domain, follow this tutorial.
Before getting to the steps, you should go through these common things that you should know about-
- It is possible to create a personalized email address if you have Office 365 Home or Personal subscription.
- You need a domain for obvious reasons. However, your domain should be registered with GoDaddy only. As of today, Outlook doesn’t allow users to use domains from other registers.
- If you have a domain with another registrar, and you want to create a personalized email address with Outlook, you need to transfer it first to GoDaddy.
- Although you can use your personalized email ID via Outlook.com, you cannot use it as a standalone email. In other terms, you always need to rely on the existing @outlook.com or @hotmail.com email ID that you already have.
- Unless you have Office 365 Business Essentials subscription, you cannot create multiple aliases on a single mailbox with your domain.
- If you cancel Office 365 subscription, you won’t be able to send or receive email anymore. However, Outlook stores all existing emails.
- If you cancel your domain subscription from GoDaddy, you will lose the custom email address because the domain registrar changes the DNS records after expiry.
If you are okay with these terms and conditions, you can go ahead to follow the instructions. If you already have a domain with GoDaddy, you do not need to buy anything else. If you do not own a domain, it is recommended to purchase the name first before heading to the guide.
How to create custom domain email ID in Outlook
To create personalized email ID using Outlook, follow these steps-
- Open Outlook.com Settings
- Click on Get Started button in Premium tab
- Enter your domain name to validate
- Sign in to your GoDaddy account to verify ownership
- Go to Premium > Personalized email address
- Click on Create address button
- Enter your email address
- Use it via Outlook
To begin, sign in to your Microsoft account that you used to purchase Office 365 subscription. Click on the setting gear icon that is visible on the top navigation menu. Following that, click on the View all Outlook settings option. It should open the Settings panel of Outlook.com.
As you already have the ‘premium’ subscription, you can click the Premium tab to explore more options. After that, click the Get started button under Personalized email address heading.
On the next window, click on the option that says I already own a GoDaddy domain. At this point, if you haven’t purchased your domain, you need to get the domain first, as mentioned earlier.
Enter your domain name so that Outlook can check whether your domain’s registrar is GoDaddy or not. For that, write down your domain name and click the Validate button.
After that, you need to sign in to your GoDaddy account to verify the ownership. To do so, click the Sign in button first. It will redirect you to the GoDaddy website, where you must enter the credentials.
At this time, Outlook adds some DNS records in your GoDaddy account so that you can use the personalized email address to send and receive an email. To be precise, it adds two CNAME records, one MX record, and two TXT records. After finishing the last step, you can go back to the Premium tab where you can see a new sub-entry called Personalized email address. You need to visit this tab and click the Create address button.
It will let you create the email address that you want to get. On the next window, you have to type the desired email address. It can be anything – email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, etc.
After writing down the email ID, click the Next button. If everything goes correctly, you will be greeted with a message like this-
Now, you can visit the Premium > Personalized email address tab to find your custom email ID. To send an email from your newly created email address, you need to change the address in the From section while composing an email in Outlook.com.
In case you want to remove your email ID, you need to visit the place and click the Remove address button and confirm the change. On the other hand, if you are not happy with the service and you no longer want to use the custom email ID, you can click the Remove domain button to get the job done.
I hope this step by step guide will be helpful for you.