After findings revealed Intel chips were susceptible to vulnerabilities following a test conducted by researchers, Intel acknowledged the flaw and issued a security advisory. Severity rating that was accorded to the vulnerability was ‘IMPORTANT’. As such, it was essential to find a range of systems that were at risk. Intel verified systems running ME Firmware versions 11.0/11.5/11.6/11.7/11.10/11.20, SPS Firmware version 4.0, and TXE version 3.0 were impacted and 6th, 7th & 8th Generation Intel Core Processor Family, Intel Atom C3000 Processor Family, Intel Xeon Processor Scalable Family chips were at risk. And so the INTEL-SA-00086 Detection Tool has been released that will detect any security vulnerability described in INTEL-Security Advisory -00086.
Intel-SA-00086 Security Bulletin
As much as eight vulnerabilities were discovered. Mitigating them was important as Intel’s review indicated that attackers could gain unauthorized access to systems running
- Intel Management Engine (ME)
- Intel Trusted Execution Engine (TXE)
- Intel Server Platform Service (SPS),
INTEL-SA-00086 Detection Tool
Intel has released a tool – The INTEL-SA-00086 Detection Tool capable of detecting any security vulnerability described in INTEL-Security Advisory -00086.
This download file contains two versions of the tool.
- The first is an interactive GUI tool that, when run, discovers the hardware and software details of the device and provides a risk assessment.
- The second version of the tool is a console executable that saves the discovery information to the Windows* registry and to an XML file. This version is more suitable for IT administrators wishing to perform bulk detection operations across multiple machines.
Find out if your Intel computer is vulnerable
Use Intel’s direct-download link to download the Intel portable tool – Windows version. It does not require any installation. Simply download the file with name – SA00086_Windows.zip
Once extracted, run the file SA00086_Windows.zip/DiscoveryTool.GUI/Intel-SA-00086-GUI.exe
After running the file for few seconds, you should see any one of the following possible four results based on risk assessment
- This system is vulnerable
- Detection Error: This system may be vulnerable.
- This system is not vulnerable.
To download it and for additional information, visit Intel.com.
- Tags: Intel