People searching ways to avoid being tracked, can try latest offering from AVG – AVG Crumble. AVG’s new Chrome extension puts a stop to online cookie tracking and allows you to “surf without surveillance”. The browser extension is developed by the AVG Innovation Labs and is currently in the beta stage. However, users can start testing it.
AVG Crumble for Chrome
Internet Cookies are small text files, given ID tags that are stored on your computer’s browser directory by certain websites and used for tracking a user’s web browsing habits. These tracking cookies are stored by the supporting websites in a corresponding file along with any information you may have voluntarily given while visiting the website just to create a user profile for getting delivered targeted ads.
The Chrome extension ships with a single control switch: the option to turn the blocking of trackers on or off.
The app also displays the number of processed cookies on domains you are visiting as a number on the extension’s icon. Additional information related to tracking by trackers is directly displayed in an overlay on the screen that vaporizes automatically after few seconds time.
The main features of AVG Crumble are:
- Block online tracking – Websites supporting feature for tracking cookies fail to track you and thus incapable of creating a user profile for delivering targeted ads.
- See who’s tracking you – Informs a user who is tracking him on the websites he visits
- Always up to date – Crumble does not rely on blacklist. Hence, it is always up to date. Rather using a blacklist of trackers, the Chrome extension identifies cookie types and controls what information is sent back to the web tracking companies.
- No negative visual impact – The app does not pose any problems when you visit a website like breaking the websites or hide any content.
- No preferential treatment – Since Crumble avoids the use white lists or blacklists, it does not offer preferential treatment to certain trackers.
AVG Crumble is a useful extension if you want to avoid being tracked by online companies. It will not break your user experience when you visit your favorite websites nor hide any content. It merely prevents your activities from being tracked.
It is up for the grabs at the Chrome Web Store.