We have seen how SkyDrive can automatically back up your captured photos and videos to SkyDrive in iOS too. This feature was already available on Windows Phone, but now even your photos and videos captured on iPods, iPhones and iPads gets automatically uploaded to SkyDrive. This feature therefore helps you free up your space, by deleting photos and videos on your local camera roll, after they’ve been uploaded to SkyDrive or keep them as a backup.
Instagram service too is very popular on mobile devices and people capture and share a lot of Instagram photos. Instagram was recently also made available on Windows Phone. But Instagram photos are not automatically backed up to SkyDrive. So how can we back up your Instagram photos to SkyDrive automatically?
Automatically upload Instagram photos to SkyDrive
To automatically upload Instagram photos to SkyDrive, we will be using services of IFTTT. For those who are new to IFTTT- IFTTT (If This Then That) lets you create powerful connections with one simple statement. IFTTT is pronounced like “gift” without the “g.”
Channels are the basic building blocks of IFTTT. Each Channel has its own Triggers and Actions. So in our case Instagram and SkyDrive are Channels. And we will ‘Trigger’ Instagram to see the ‘Action’ on SkyDrive. And this is called an IFTTT recipe. It very easy to create a recipe. IFTTT provides many channels, you can have a look here. So let us see how our recipe is prepared.
Preparing our Instagram to SkyDrive Recipe
- If you don’t yet have IFTTT account, go to IFTTT site and join to create your Free account. Then after signing in, click on ‘Create a Recipe’
- Next, click on ‘this’
- And select the trigger channel as Instagram. You’ll have to provide IFTTT authorization to access Instagram to activate the channel. This has to be done only once, for later recipes with Instagram channel, this won’t be required.
- Once the Instagram channel is activated, you can see the color Instagram icon instead of Monochrome. Next we have to choose the trigger , for our recipe, trigger is ‘Any new photo by you’ , so select it. Next click on ‘Create Trigger’
- Now our ‘this’ trigger is over
- Now click on ‘that’ and click on ’View All channels’ to see the SkyDrive channel. Activate the SkyDrive channel by authorizing IFTTT to access your SkyDrive account.
- Once SkyDrive channel is activated, continue to the next step to choose an action. Select ‘Add file from URL’ as your action.
- And click on ‘Create Action’
- Now we have finished creating Trigger for ‘this’ and Action for ‘that’. Finally we have finish our recipe by clicking on ‘Create Recipe’
That’s all, our Recipe is created, turn it On and it gets activated. Just follow the on-screen instructions keeping these screenshots as a guide. These personal Recipes are checked every 15 minutes. If you switch off a recipe and turn it back on, it resets as if you have just created it. Also remember that this Recipe will work for your New Instagram photos taken after creation and activation of the Recipe. Old Instagram photos won’t be moved to SkyDrive. Thus your new Instagram photos are automatically backed up to your SkyDrive.
So you can see – it’s very simple to create a Recipe of your own, but still if you want, you can use a ready-made or a shared Recipes if it meets your requirement. I would recommend that you create your own Recipes. Its fun!