Here is a short list of a few apps, which I think make Windows rock! I have considered cool third party freeware apps, which enhance the appeal & extend the functionality of Windows 8 or Windows 7.
1. Ultimate Windows Tweaker is a must-have TweakUI Utility for tweaking and optimizing Windows 8, Windows 7 & Windows Vista, 32-bit & 64-bit as well Internet Explorer. It can simply be downloaded and used as a portable application to customize your Windows to meet your requirements. With judicious tweaking, it can make your system faster, more stable, and more secure with just a few mouse clicks.
2. Fences is a free program from Stardock that helps you organize your desktop, and can hide your icons when they’re not in use. Using Fences, you can clean & your desktop by creating shaded areas which become movable and sizable containers for your icons. Double click blank spaces on your desktop and all your fences will fade out, and back.
3. Right Click Extender is a freeware utility which allows you to customize and add some important items to the right click context menu. It allows you to add or remove many additional options to a Drive, File, Folder, Computer and Desktop’s Right Click Context Menu.
4. Oxelon Media Converter is a smart freeware program which provides explorer integration and allows for quick conversions of media files. The program allows to convert video & audio files into the following formats easily!
5. Ultimate Windows Customizer will let you easily customize and change your Windows 7 (Windows 8 support to be added later) look – like changing the Start Button, Logon Screen, Thumbnails, Taskbar, Explorer look, Windows Media Player, etc.
6. FolderIco allows you to color your Windows folders, to help you distinguish them. This helps you locate your oft-used folders easily. The program can quickly change the folder icons and restore them back to the original state in one click, and integrates itself seamlessly with Windows Explorer and core services by adding an item to the context menu.
7. Windows 7 Start Button Changer allows you change the Windows 7 Start Orb or Button easily. The program will backup you original explorer.exe, change the start button and restart explorer.exe. To restore the default Start Orb and explorer from the backup, click Restore Original Explorer Backup.
8. Dual Display Mouse Manager slows down your pointer at the transition point between multiple monitors. It prevents the mouse from crossing from one screen to another too easily and allows teleporting mouse pointer between displays with a hotkey. Its a definite must-have if you use multiple monitors!
9. Folder Guide is a very useful freeware utility that provides fast access to your frequently used and favorite folders. It can operate as the part of your context menu in your Windows Explorer. After quick install it will appear in context menus of Windows Explorer and Open/Save dialogs as “Folder Guide” item.
10. 7-Zip is a free file archiver with a high compression ratio. It supports packing & unpacking of 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR formats and unpacking only of ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, DEB, DMG, HFS, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MSI, NSIS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z.
Feel I have missed something? Please do share below in the comments!