HTC announced its new flagship Windows Phone 8 device yesterday, the HTC Windows Phone 8X, packing in some solid features and commendable specs. Earlier, users already had a couple of options regarding which phone to buy as their next Windows Phone 8 device, namely Samsung ATIV S and Nokia Lumia 920. With HTC 8X’s launch, their choice has further broadened. Let’s have a bird’s view on the important specifications of these primary Windows Phone 8 devices.
Compare HTC Windows Phone 8X, Samsung ATIV S, Nokia Lumia 920
Build / Design
- With ATIV S, Samsung has dumped its traditional way of packing a plastic outer layer on to its smartphone devices and rather opted for a finely brushed aluminum chassis (8.7mm) with rounded edges.
- Nokia Lumia 920 sports a one-piece polycarbonate body with ceramic zirconium camera detailing on its rear side and tapered edges, reflecting the smartphone look every inch.
- HTC 8X too is wrapped up in a polycarbonate unibody casing with tapered edges but the finishing isn’t as good as the Lumia 920’s.
- The Samsung ATIV S measures 137.2 x 70.5 x 8.7 (mm) and weighs 134.5 grams.
- The Nokia Lumia 920 measures 130.3 x 70.8 x 10.7 (mm) and weighs 185 grams.
- The HTC 8X measures 132.35 x 66.2 x 10.12mm and weighs 130 grams.
- The Samsung ATIV S packs in a primary 8 MP camera with features such as Auto-focus, flash et al along with a secondary 1.9 MP camera in the front.
- The Nokia Lumia 920 boasts of an 8.7 MP camera with the reputed Carl Zeiss Tessar lens and a secondary VGA camera (1280 x 960 pixels).
- HTC 8X also sports a primary 8 MP camera at the rear and a secondary 2.1 MP camera in the front to support video-calls.
- Samsung ATIV S has a super AMOLED display screen measuring 4.8 inches (largest of all) with a screen resolution of 1280 X 720 and protected by Gorilla Glass 2.
- A 4.5 inch sculpted 2.5D glass sits on the Nokia Lumia 920 (brightest display screen with PureMotion HD+ display) with a screen resolution of 1280 X 768 and protected by Corning Gorilla Glass.
- The HTC 8X sports a 4.3-inch super LCD 2 screen, also covered up by Gorilla Glass with the same screen resolution as the Samsung ATIV S (1280×720).
Battery / Processor
- A 1.5 GHz dual-core processor sits inside the Samsung ATIV S coupled with a 2300 mAh battery.
- The Nokia Lumia 920 boasts of a 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor powered by a 2000 mAh battery.
- HTC 8X also sports a 1.5 GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 processor but a battery power of 1800 mAh.
Memory / RAM
- Samsung ATIV S – 1 GB RAM, 16/32 GB Memory
- Nokia Lumia 920 – 1 GB RAM, 32 GB Memory
- HTC 8X – 1 GB RAM, 16 GB Memory
It is my opinion, that of the three devices discussed above, Nokia Lumia 920 takes the cake for its unique features like PureView technology, PureMotion HD+ display, Smart Shoot, Super-sensitive touch and rich user experience thanks to some great intuitive apps like Nokia Drive, Nokia City Lens etc. But a drawback here is its weight; at 185 grams, it’s the heaviest Windows Phone 8 device till date. Samsung ATIV S looks good in hand but falls short of the competition by its contemporaries. Those rounded edges and lack of its availability in vibrant colors can be an attraction for some but a turn-off for others. HTC Windows Phone 8X is another great Windows Phone 8 Device with its unique HTC trademark soft touch input and powerful features packed in less weight comparatively.