If you have faced a situation where you have found that your Windows 8 live tiles are not working, or in general some tiles are blank, then this article may help you troubleshoot the problem.
Typically static tiles on the Windows 8 start screen will show the name of the program and its icon. A Live Tile will flash the latest news or content which the app may want to display. But I received a mail recently, where the Windows 8 user said that his Live tile was not being updated and sometimes not displaying anything at all.
If you are facing this problem, you may want to see if any of these troubleshooting steps help you:
- Ensure that your screen resolution is at least 1024 x 768 and that your User Account Control is turned on.
- Run the Windows 8 App Troubleshooter
- Repair Windows 8 Apps
- Check if you have any third-party software which you may have installed just before this problem started. If you think any of them may be causing this problem, uninstall it and see if it helps. Some software like SageThumbs, Shell-integrated codecs, FastPicture Viewer, programs that alter image thumbnails, etc., are know to cause conflicts. Live Tiles use the .jpg and .png file format, so any software which interferes with their default functioning may cause your Tiles to not function properly.
- Switch Local and Microsoft Account and see if it helps.
- Unpin and then again Pin the app tile to the start screen.
- Try uninstalling and reinstalling or repairing the app or software using its Uninstaller.
- Run System File Checker
- Use the Refresh PC feature.
Hope something helps!