Has your Windows computer ever suffered dramatic hard drive space loss, for no obvious reasons? If yes, chances are the problem is not with your software but few directories. So, what do you do under such circumstances? Of course, scan your computer to find out which files, folders or directories are eating the most disk space. We have already freeware like SpaceSniffer, Saleen File Pro, Disk Space Fan, Disk Savvy and Better Directory Analyzer.The built-in Disk Footprint Tool in Windows8.1 also lets you carry out several tasks pertaining to Disk Space usage. You can use it to take snapshots, summaries, analyze disk usage, annonymize, compare growth over time using disk growth study and more.
Today lets check out the well-know WinDirStat.
Analyze Disk Space Usage
WinDirStat is a disk usage statistics viewer and cleanup tool for Microsoft Windows. The program comes in two variants:
- Ansi – For Windows 9x and ME users.
- Unicode – for all other users
How WinDirStat helps
WinDirStat reads the whole directory tree once and then presents it in three useful views:
- The directory list – It resembles the tree view of the Windows Explorer but is sorted by file/subtree size,
- The treemap – It shows the whole contents of the directory tree straight away,
- The extension list – It serves as a legend and shows statistics about the file types.
How to use WinDirStat
- Download WinDirStat by clicking on the download link provided at the end of the article and save the file. the file will be saved to your computer
- Now, locate the installation file and double click on the file
- Next, click ‘Run’; accept the license and click ‘Next’. Continue clicking the ‘Next’ button of each wizard until the application gets installed completely
- Finally, start the program. Note: On start up, WinDirStat scans the selected directories. Her you can select all Drives or Individual drives for scanning. If you want to select more than one, just click on the drive.
- The scan is then presented in three useful views (as mentioned above)
- Once the scanning is complete you can delete a file by simply highlighting it and clicking on ‘Clean Up’ from the Toolbar.
- Here, you will be offered various options. For instance, you can choose to open the file, open Explorer, open a Command Prompt, Delete (to Recycle Bin), permanently Delete the file or Empty the Recycle Bin
WinDirStat is compatible with all the version of the Windows operating system
Besides this, WinDirStat is free software published under the GNU General Public License and is available in multiple languages (English, Spanish, German, Czech, etc). Its current version 1.1.2 is stable and can be downloaded from here.