Taskbar Overlord is a free download for Windows 7 only, with the AutoHotkey source code available and separate downloads in case you want one feature but not the other. It allows Windows 7 taskbar to work more efficiently by enabling middle-clicking to close applications.
One of the biggest differences is the new taskbar, where you can pin the programs you use most for easy access. In effect, the taskbar now handles application switching and launching. It also groups multiple windows of a program together under one icon, as seen in the screenshot below where two explorer windows are open.
When multiple windows of an application are open, clicking on the program icon pops up the thumbnail previews instead of restoring the last active window. It now takes two clicks to restore a minimized window instead of one. If you middle click on an icon, it opens a new window of that program. But you can already open new instances by holding down shift and left clicking.
If these issues trouble you, you want to check out Taskbar Overlord.
Home Page : Ocellated.
You might want to check out our Taskbar tweaker freeware too:
- Taskbar Thumbnail Tweaker & Resizer for Windows 7 makes Taskbar Previews appear faster or increase taskbar thumbnail preview size easily!
- Windows 7 Taskbar Thumbnail Customizer allows you to resize & tweak the Windows 7 taskbar thumbnails left & right, in & out! You can change the size of the thumbnail, its spacing, top, bottom, left, right margins and mouse delay time too!
- Hide Taskbar lets you hide only the taskbar, and not the Start Button, with a click. Simply download and run the app. Use hotkeys Ctrl+Esc to hide or un-hide the taskbar.
- Taskbar Shadow is a small tool that adds a cool drop shadow effect to the Windows 7 taskbar. It creates a shadow for the taskbar in any position – bottom, top, right or left!
- Taskbar Color Effects lets you add Color, Background and Shadow Effects to the Windows 7 Taskbar.