We are pleased to release SMART (Service Management And RealEasy Tweaking) Utility for Windows 7. SMART is a freeware utility which helps you tweak Windows 7 Services, based on the suggested configurations of BlackVipers.
UPDATE 6th March 2010: SMART (Service Management And RealEasy Tweaking) Utility for Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP has been updated to v 2.0. You can see change log here.
Tweak Windows Services
It can simply be downloaded and used as a portable application to customize your Windows services settings, to meet your requirements. With judicious tweaking, it can make your system faster, as you will be disabling services which you do not require.
Tweaking a system has to be done carefully, and more so in the cases of Services. A Windows service is a long running executable that performs specific functions and which is designed not to require user intervention. Windows services can be configured to start when the operating system is booted and run in the background as long as Windows is running, or they can be started manually when required.
You can always tweak your services manually individually, but what this utility does is automate the entire process to give you the desired settings. Based on the recommendations of the BlackVipers Service Configuration Guide, the utility offers 3 sets of pre- configured tweaks :
3. Advanced or BareBones
The utility has set the Presets to check for Service before applying Tweak. There is also a button to re-set services to Windows Default Settings.
Quick Rundown of Operations:
1. Click a Service to get additional information about it.
2. Double-Click a Service to Automatically Start or Stop it.
3. Right-Click a Service to View and set Start-Up Options (Automatic, Manual & Disabled).
4. Select a Service and Click Open File Location to Locate Service Executable (Does not work on svchost, so if you happen to click a svchost and it opens up your Documents Folder, don’t be alarmed.).
5. Click Refresh To reload the list of Services.
6. Click a preset (Default, Safe, Tweaked, Advanced/BareBones), to set pre-configured Tweaks.
7. The Safe setting is (you guessed it!) safe! Tweak and Advanced settings, are for Advanced users to set their Services.
SMART Utility v 2.0, has been developed by our TWC Forum member L.W. You might also want to check out his UntameDKreationZ Deviant Art gallery.
It is always recommended to create a System Restore Point before tweaking your system. You may want to check out Quick Restore Maker, from this developer, to do so quickly.
It has been tested on Windows 7 32Bit and 64Bit, Windows Vista SP2 32Bit and 64Bit, Windows XP SP3, 32Bit and 64Bit. If you wish to give feedback please visit TWC Forum.
You may want to check out our other freeware releases:
FixWin | Clean Desktop | GodMode Creator | Fix IE | Fix MSE | Fix WU | Windows Access Panel | Ultimate Windows Tweaker | Quick Restore Maker | Fix WMP | Prevent | File Association Fixer | Windows 7 Start Button Changer | Handy Shortcuts.