The System Maintenance Troubleshooter will help you run Windows computer maintenance tasks automatically. Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services (ATS) will allow you to automatically detect and fix common maintenance problems such as broken desktop shortcuts, unused icons, disk volume errors, and incorrect system time display.
System Maintenance Troubleshooter
The System Maintenance Troubleshooter module Mats_Run.maintenance fixes the following:
Problems with desktop shortcuts and icons
- Shortcuts on the desktop don’t work or are broken
- Desktop icons are broken or have not been used in 3 months
- Startup items don’t work or are broken
System maintenance tasks
- Free up disk space by repairing disk volume errors such as bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files and directory errors
- Free up disk space by removing error reports and troubleshooting history older than one month
- Set the correct system time and synchronize system clock with the time server
You receive the following errors:
- Windows update error 0x80072F8F
- The item that this shortcut refers to has been deleted
Visit Microsoft Fix It to download it.
Do note that this Automated Troubleshooting Service is valid for Windows Vista only. The reason Windows 7 has been excluded is that it already has native troubleshooting support.
In Windows 10/8.1, to run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter. Open Run, type the following and hit Enter:
%systemroot%\system32\msdt.exe -id MaintenanceDiagnostic
Hope this helps.