Windows 10 comes with plenty of preinstalled apps. Most of these apps are useless for most users and take up unnecessary space on the C drive which you need to install upgrades in future and to install programs that you wish. There are temporary files, unwanted folders, caches, etc, that you can remove safely. Free up more disk space in Windows 10 by removing pre-installed Windows Store apps and unwanted programs. It also explains how to gain more speed by removing unwanted Windows features.
Empty the Temp Folder completely
Next is to empty the folder containing the temporary files. While Disk Cleanup removes temporary files, it omits the most recent temporary files created in the last 7 day. To delete all the temporary files,
- Press WinKey+R
- Type cmd and press Enter
- In the command line window, type DEL %temp%\*.*
- Some files won’t be deleted as they may be in use; but it is perfectly safe to delete other temporary files
- Type Exit to close the command line window
Uninstall Preinstalled Windows Apps
There are plenty of preinstalled Windows Apps that are of no use to most of us. You can always remove them from Settings app.
- Click on Start Menu to open it
- Click on PC Settings to open the Settings window
- In the Settings Window, click on System
- Click on Apps and Features; the window towards the right will be populated with the list of preinstalled Windows 10 apps that you can remove
- Click on an app to see the options Move and Uninstall.
- Click on Uninstall to remove the application; it was easier in Windows 8.1 where you could right click and select uninstall but this method too is easy provided you remember where to find the uninstall option
- After removing all the apps, close the Settings window
NOTE: The Uninstall feature is not available for all Windows 10 apps. Some of them, Windows thinks, are essential to you, and hence you will not see the Uninstall button next to them.
Use Storage Option to Free up Disk Space in Windows 10
1. Open Setting app
2. Click on System
3. Click on Storage in Left panel
4. In the right panel, click on C Drive to see what all is taking up space on the drive
5. After an analysis, you get details of what is taking up space on C Drive
6. Click on an item to get more options: If you click on Apps, you will get the Remove Apps dialog as explained in above section; if you click on temporary files, you will get a window that has options to delete to temporary files
7. Clean up This PC using your discretion based on the options available
8. Close the Settings window.
Remove Unwanted Windows features & components
You can remove unwanted Windows features to speed up Windows 10. For example, if you do not have a need to convert documents into XPS, you can remove the feature from Programs and Features.
1. Open the Programs and Features in Control Panel and click on Turn Windows Features On or Off
2. Check out what all features are installed and uncheck the features that you wish to remove
3. Click on OK to remove the features
Note: You can reinstall the features using the same method, if you feel the need for any of the removed feature.
If you are using MS Office desktop applications, you will see a folder called MSOcache in the root drive. The root drive is from where the Windows 10 OS works – it is often the C drive on almost all computers unless you have configured a dual boot and installed Windows 10 on a separate drive.
MSOCache is nothing but a cache of files related to MS Office. Removing it will not affect your computer. You can remove it without any worries. Often, the MSOCache folder does not use all the files in the folder. It keeps on increasing on size as you work on MS Office applications. Deleting it won’t slow down your MS Office either. To remove the folder, right-click on it and select Delete from the context menu. You can also select it and press DEL key on the keyboard.
But do note that if you delete MSOCache, you will not be able to repair Microsoft Office programs. You may even find it difficult to uninstall them, should you feel the need to do so.
In addition, you can remove unwanted and obsolete Windows Registry entries to gain space. There are many third party Free Registry and Junk Cleaners available. If your are interested in freeing up more space, you may want to read how to increase Disk Space in Windows.