If you are at your workplace or at your office and want a free communication source in your office, so that you can stay in contact with all your employes and can have a conference within your office – or maybe have some instant small chats with your employes without any internet connection, then you should read-on to know about top 3 LAN (Local Area Network) messengers which will enable you to do so.
LAN Messengers are the applications or utilities that enable you to chat within a local area network without any Internet Connection – but a wired LAN is must. There may be many freeware LAN Messengers available for Windows 10/8/7, but these 3 are among the best one’s in my opinion.
LAN Messengers Free Download for Windows
1. Tonic: Tonic helps you to carry out your simple chats within your office via LAN network. It is very useful program with a user-friendly interface that is easy to understood by all.
- Easy to use – no server.
- Tonic automatically finds other Tonic users inside your network.
- Different user availability status.
- Image avatars
- File transfer support
- Chat history
- Announcement mode
- Quick poll + poll results.
Tonic is a complete LAN messenger and it is full of those ultimate features that you always required in your office or workplace at LAN.
PS: Tonic is no longer under active development and has been Archived. Please also read the comment below.
2. LAN Messenger is another free & open source cross-platform instant messaging application for communication over a local network. It does not require a server.
Some of its features include:
- Instant Messaging
- Message History
- Personal and Group Messaging
- File Transfer
- Broadcast Message.
It is available here for download.
3. Squiggle: Squiggle is a free and open source application meant for LAN chatting. Squiggle also operates in peer-to-peer mode, and hence does not need any server. The application is rather good-looking, and offers the following features:
- Server-less peer-to-peer LAN chat
- No installation required
- Group chat
- Broadcast chat
- Private chat
- Bridging option for connecting two LANs across subnets or WAN.
- Localized i.e. translated client available in German, French, Arabic and Chinese
- File transfer
- Spell Check, Buzz, Emoticons, Audio Alerts, Tray Popups
- Contact groups, Display message, Display Pic, Chat commands, Message aliases
- Chat history, Status history
Get it here.
So this was all in the list of top 3 LAN Messengers for your Windows PC. If you wish to recommend other free LAN Messengers, please do so in the comments section.
NOTE: One software in this list has gone paid. As a result, we have replaced it with LAN Messenger, as this one is free.
You suggestions and feedback are always most welcome!