iPad came at a time when it had no real competition. It had the first-mover advantage. backed with the brand equity which Apple commanded, it created a revolution of sorts. To flaunt and iPad was ‘in’. It did little more than allow you to surf, play games, check mail and impress friends with some cool apps. But times have changed and people today have options.
Windows 7 tablets did not really catch the fancy of consumers – but things are different with Windows 8 tablets. Windows 8 came up with some of the best features in its genre. With a few reservations, Windows 8 users enjoy using this new, fast, fluid and secure operating system. The Modern UI was a treat to use on Windows Phone 8 devices. On Surface, Windows 8 showed that tablets were no longer just toys – you could even do serious work on them!
iPad vs Windows 8 tablet
When it comes to choosing OS for smartphones and tablets; many users give preference to iOS. The popularity of iPhones and iPads is unbeatable today; but Windows 8 Phones and Tablets have gained enough popularity to compete with iOS.
There are several reasons due to which Windows 8 tablets have become so popular. Currently, the available Windows 8 tablets are ASUS VivoTab Smart, Dell XPS 10, HP Envy x2 and Microsoft’ very own, Surface RT. We have already seen a iPad vs Surface comparison. Now lets see some general features of the Windows 8 tablet that makes it overshadow the iPad 2.
Features that make Windows 8 tablets the better choice
- One of the biggest assets of Windows 8 tablets is its vast software library. No other OS provides such a huge and deep collection of available software. Other operating systems like Mac, Linux and Chrome meet the basic requirements of software; but do not exceed the expectations. Windows has a large ecosystem. Unlike Mac; Windows loves to keep running its old programs and software long with the new ones. Hence, you are still able to run the old DOS programs alongside the latest and most advanced software and applications on Windows 8.
- Another winning point for Windows 8 is that you can play a number of games on it. There are several popular games which cannot be played on Linux or Mac.
- Windows 8 certainly offers a lot when it comes to its syncing option. If you have an online Microsoft account, you can choose to sync a wide array of items to any Windows 8 computer you log-in to, including passwords, Start-screen aesthetics, app settings, browser particulars, desktop preferences and many more.
- Windows 8 Surface RT tablet offers many features as compared to iPad. It is thin and light weight. It has bigger and better display size and a good battery life. The microSD and USB ports are included in Windows 8 tablets, which are missing in iPad.
Apart from this, Windows 8 tablets proves to be superior to iPad in many other ways.
- The iPad works only with AirPrint-enabled printers; while the Surface RT tablets work with most printers.
- SkyDrive on the Surface offers more free cloud storage than iCloud on the iPad.
- Windows 8 tablets come with Microsoft Office
- You can have multiple accounts and it can multitask.
Microsoft has compared the iPad with Windows 8 tablets like ASUS VivoTab Smart, Dell XPS 10, HP ENVY x2 and Microsoft Surface RT. You can see the details including comparison of specs here.
There are certainly many factors bases on which Windows 8 tablets are successfully leading iPads. As a user, let us know how you find Windows 8 more beneficial than iPad, and which features of Windows 8 tablets you like the most!