With so many Windows Updates happening in the background you never really know which webpage URL is a source of your PC’s last driver update. Knowing direct URL’s can be particularly useful if you want to have a manual control on driver updates or after a reboot of your PC.
Identify direct URL for Windows Update driver
Here is a method through which you can identify direct URL for a Windows Update driver in Windows 10/8/7. This method involves following steps as follows:
- Stopping Windows update service
- Cleaning up the local Windows Update cache
- Removing driver for a particular device
- Restarting Windows update service
- Installing latest available driver
- Inspecting logs to identify direct URL
Step 1: Stopping Windows Update service
Using admin command prompt, execute command “ net stop wuauserv”. This will stop the Windows Update service.
Step 2: Cleaning up the local Windows Update cache
To clean up local Windows Update cache, use admin cmd, and execute the following commands, one after the other:
- del /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
- del /s /q %windir%\Logs\Windows Update\*.etl
Step 3: Removing driver from a particular device
This step involves uninstalling particular device driver. Follow these steps,
- Start – device manager
- Open Display adapters
- Right-click on the device
- Click Uninstall.
- At the prompt, ensure that “Delete the driver software for this device” is checked.
- Click OK
- Wait until the driver is uninstalled
- On the Action menu click “scan for hardware changes.”
- The device now comes up with a Yellow-mark over it indicating a driver could not be found. If an older driver was found and installed, you can uninstall that too and repeat until the only basic drive is left.
Step 4: Restarting Windows update service
With the driver successfully uninstalled, now restart Windows update service using admin cmd-prompt. Execute “net start wuauserv”.
Step 5: Installing the latest available driver
Follow these steps to install latest available drivers for a device whose drivers which were uninstalled in Step 3.
- Start – Device Manager
- Right-click on the device and click “Update Driver software.”
- Click “Search automatically for updated driver software.”
- Wait for driver update to complete
Step 6: Inspecting logs to identify direct URL
To identify direct URL for a Windows Update driver you have to browse through logs in Windows directory. Follow these steps:
- Open Windows/ logs / WindowsUpdate
- Open the .etl file in notepad (if there is more than one log, open the larger one)
- Search for “. c a b” and find the last match in the file.
- Remove spaces from the string to get the URL of the .cab file.
- Remove the regional datacenter prefix “au.ds”: Yow will get for example the URL – http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/06/200005630_d9e19222b206b4dd6ed9813f790565c2638d0f75.cab.
This is the direct download to your device driver
Source: MSDN blogs.