With so many Windows Updates happening in background you never really know which webpage URL is source to your PC’s last driver update. Knowing direct URL’s can be particularly useful if you want to have a manual control on driver updates or after a reboot of your PC.
Identify direct URL for Windows Update driver
Here is a method through which you can identify direct URL for a Windows Update driver in Windows 10 / 8 / 7. This method involves following steps as follows:
- Stopping Windows update service
- Cleaning up the local Windows Update cache
- Removing driver for a particular device
- Restarting Windows update service
- Installing latest available driver
- Inspecting logs to identify direct URL
Step 1: Stopping Windows Update service
Using admin command prompt, execute command “ net stop wuauserv”. This will stop the Windows Update service.
Step 2: Cleaning up the local Windows Update cache
To clean up local Windows Update cache, use admin cmd, and execute the following commands, one after the other:
- del /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
- del /s /q %windir%\Logs\Windows Update\*.etl
Step 3: Removing driver for a particular device
This step involves uninstalling particular device driver. Follow below steps,
- Start – device manager
- Open Display adapters
- Right-click on the device
- Click Uninstall.
- At the prompt, ensure that “Delete the driver software for this device” is checked.
- Click OK
- Wait until the driver is uninstalled
- On the Action menu click “scan for hardware changes”
- The device now comes up with a Yellow-mark over it indicating a driver could not be found. If an older driver was found and installed, you can uninstall that too and repeat until only basic drive is left.
Step 4: Restarting Windows update service
With the driver successfully uninstalled, now restart Windows update service using admin cmd-prompt. Execute “net start wuauserv”.
Step 5: Installing the latest available driver
Follow these steps to install latest available drivers for device whose drivers which were uninstalled in Step 3.
- Start – Device Manager
- Right-click on the device and click “Update Driver software”
- Click “Search automatically for updated driver software”
- Wait for driver update to complete
Step 6: Inspecting logs to identify direct URL
To identify direct URL for a Windows Update driver you have to browse through logs in Windows directory. Follow these steps:
- Open Windows/ logs / WindowsUpdate
- Open the .etl file in notepad (if there is more than one log, open the larger one)
- Search for “. c a b” and find the last match in the file.
- Remove spaces from the string to get the URL of the .cab file.
- Remove the regional datacenter prefix “au.ds”: Yow will get for example the URL – http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2015/06/200005630_d9e19222b206b4dd6ed9813f790565c2638d0f75.cab.
This is the direct download to your device driver
Source: MSDN blogs.