To download games you have to visit the official website, and then download the desired games. There was no great way or an alternative to discover the free games you were not aware of. Giving special importance to this, the developers at SourceForge have developed a small utility by the name ‘Game Downloader’. It is an open source download client with a server-side library of games, to download open source, indie or freeware games.
On start-up the Game Downloader looks for and reads the Settings.cfg, Downloads the categories.cfg and randomly selects a game in a random category.
The ‘Category’ section, which is the first section of the main window, then grants access to a drop-down list via which a user can choose a game category. This includes,
- Board games
- Card Games
- First Person Shooter
- Puzzle, Racing and much more.
After selecting a particular category, ‘Games’ section below it gets populated automatically with a list of games. Once a game is selected, Game Downloader displays an in-game screen-shot along with description of the game. Note that a ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ flag indicates whether the game has multi-player alternative or not.
At the end of the window, below the description are links to the game developer’s website, download option, etc. by default, the downloaded game installer is saved under ‘Downloads’ but can be changed to some other location.
Features of Game Downloader
- Multiple Categories for games
- Free and open source project
- Lightweight and portable application
- Supports 100 or more games to download
- Games are added and updated every week
- Customizable user-friendly features
- Installer for the PortableApps platform
- Internet connection, since the list (Games) and the information are retrieved from the Internet.
- .NET Framework 3.5 to run
- Windows OS (Windows 7, XP)
As the name suggests, Game Downloader is a useful program to download 100 or more games of your choice.
To download Game Downloader visit SourceForge.