At times, you may find errors in your ePub formatted eBooks and feel the need of correcting them. However, you do not have any right software at hand that does the job for you.
What do you do then? Of course, browse Internet thoroughly until you find a valid option. No need to do that anymore! We have simplified the process by bringing in Sigil.
Sigil is a free and open-source editor for EPUB format eBooks. Although, there exists many other rich text editors from good old Notepad to Open Office Writer Sigil’s main advantage over these editors is its focus on eBooks. Also, it includes many advanced features such as support for XHTML, CSS and XPGT editing.
How to install Sigil for Windows
- Installing Sigil is fairly easy on Windows.
- If you’ve installed Sigil previously, uninstall earlier versions to avoid issues with old DLLs or libraries
- Then, download the 32bit or 64bit version that matches your version of Windows
- Run the installer and everything should take care of itself
- If you are using 32bit Windows and get a message about Sigil not being “a valid Win32 application”, chances are you have downloaded the 64bit version by mistake
When installed successfully, the interface of the program displays the following,
- Toolbar at the top
- A book browser on the left
- A tabbed editing interface in the middle
- A table of contents on the right, when enabled
Sigil is very simple to use. When launched, the program opens with a default blank ePub file, so you can start writing an eBook right away. Here you can access formatting options, define headings, insert images and do lot more.
Also, if you would like to edit any of your ePub books click ‘Open’ and browse to the file you want to edit. Since Sigil is full of features, at some point you can learn many of its keyboard shortcuts for most operations and dictionary files for spell checking.
- Multi-platform support ( Windows, Linux and Mac)
- Full UTF-8 support
- Full EPUB 2 spec support
- Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Split View
- User interface translated into 15 languages
- Spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
- SVG and basic XPGT support.
Sigil is multi-platform EPUB eBook editor sand therefore available for Windows, Linux and Macintosh systems. It can be downloaded from here.