Being an IT Pro, customization of the Windows Operating System deployed is your first priority. With Windows 7 you can have a customization experience like you have never had before. Microsoft provides two tools, the Windows Automated Installation Kit and Microsoft Deployment Toolkit, which you can use to customize Windows deployment.
Common tasks you can do while customizing Windows 7:
- Add additional applications and device drivers.
- Change the default language, time zone, or locale.
- Launch applications when an end-user first boots the computer.
- Join the computer to a domain and add user accounts.
- Migrating User data from a previous installation.
I am providing some of the Microsoft Website downloads and tools associated with Windows 7 that help you customize an awesome experience.
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit.
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) is a collection of tools, scripts, and guidance that provide a pre-configured environment that quickly enables to you deploy Windows and other Microsoft products. MDT is a complete solution and ideal for administrators who want to quickly deploy Windows and other Microsoft products. You can download MDT from this Microsoft Website.
Windows Automated Installation Kit
The Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) is a collection of tools and documentation that enable you to configure and deploy Window. The Windows AIK enables you to create a highly customized Windows deployment environment. The Windows AIK includes tools such as Windows System Image Manager (Windows SIM), Windows PE creation tools, ImageX, and the User State Migration Tool (USMT).
For information about customizing and other aspects of Windows deployment, see the following resources on the Microsoft Website:
- Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals.
- Step-by-Step: Windows 7 Upgrade and Migration.
For operational information about customizing, check the Windows Automated Installation Kit User’s Guide.
- Windows Automated Installation Kit for Windows 7.
- User State Migration Tool (USMT) 4.0 User’s Guide.
For more information about customizing, check the following technical reference on the Microsoft Websites:
- Windows 7 Deployment – FAQ
- Windows 7 Installation & Upgrading Documentation from Microsoft
- P2V Migration Tool for Windows 7.