We have earlier seen how to configure Microsoft Outlook for Gmail and how to set up Microsoft Outlook For Private Hosted Email. Today I will tell you how to Configure Microsoft Outlook 2010 for Yahoo Mail. It is a little difficult to configure Microsoft Outlook for Yahoo Mail as you need to be a member of upgraded version of Yahoo Mail before you can set up Yahoo to send mail to your desktop clients via POP3 protocols. This article talks about a workaround – using YPOPs – to send and receive Yahoo mail using Outlook 2010.
UPDATE: Looks like the no longer works as Yahoo has removed POP3 forwarding feature for Yahoo Asia.
Set Your Yahoo To Yahoo Asia
The option to forward Yahoo Mail as POP3 is – for some reasons – available only for Yahoo Asia. Other profiles do not provide this option. If you are using Yahoo US and wish to access Yahoo Mail with Outlook, you will need to upgrade to Yahoo Mail Plus at around $2 per month. Using YPOPs and by setting up your Yahoo profile to Yahoo Asia, you can configure Outlook 2010 for sending and receiving emails via Yahoo – without having to pay anything extra.
To change the Yahoo profile to Yahoo Asia, log in to the Yahoo email page and click on Account Info. In the web page that appears, click on Language, Site and Time Zone. Select Yahoo Asia from the list of sites available in the drop down list next to Site. Click on Save and close the Window.
The next step is to download YPOPs. This is a software that communicates between Outlook and Yahoo servers to fetch your emails and to send your emails using the Yahoo email servers. Being open-source software, you do not need to pay anything to download and use the software. Just make sure you are downloading the latest version of YPOPs.
Configure Outlook 2010 for Yahoo Mail
Now you are all set to configure Outlook 2010 for Yahoo Mail. You have to create a new account for Yahoo Mail in Outlook 2010.
1. Click on File -> Add New Account
2. In the dialog box that appears, select Manually configure server settings and then click Next.
3. In the next dialog box, select Internet Email and click Next.
4. In the New Email Account dialog box, enter your email ID (your Yahoo email ID without @yahoo.com), the password, your name and email ID in the designated spaces.
5. In the same dialog box, select POP3 for Account Type.
6. Under the Account Type, type 127.0.0.1 for incoming server. Type 127.0.0.1 as your outgoing server.
7. Click on More Settings.
8. In the dialog box that appears, select Outgoing Server tab and then select My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication. Click to select Use Same Settings as My Incoming Server.
9. Under Advanced Tab in the same dialog, move the slider against server timeout to set it to a value around 4
10. Click OK
11. Click Test Account Settings. You should receive a dialog box saying that the account is successfully configured.
Alternative Settings For Outlook 2010
In case you go for the upgrade, use the following settings to configure MS Outlook for Yahoo Mail:
Incoming Server: pop.mail.yahoo.com
Outgoing Server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Incoming Server Port: 995
Encryption Incoming Server: SSL
Outgoing Server Port: 465
Encryption for Outgoing Server: SSL
The above explains configuring Microsoft Outlook 2010 for Yahoo Mail. If you face any problems configuring it, please let us know.
UPDATE: The above no longer works as Yahoo has removed POP3 forwarding feature for Yahoo Asia. In fact, it has removed the option entirely. You now need to access your Yahoo mail directly from the browser. If you have a plus account, you can still configure a POP3 account using the above settings. For more information on setting up Yahoo account on Outlook 2010, please visit Yahoo Help! I haven’t tried it but I guess you can use Gmail or Outlook.com to fetch mail from Yahoo using POP3. The feature is available in Settings of both Gmail and Outlook.com. If anyone has tested this, please let us know.