Windows Phone 7 is proving to be a boon for Business users. With its lots of features and options for Business users, Windows Phone 7 is becoming No.1 choice of CEO’s and company executives.
Accessing your own company mail server from your Windows Phone 7 device is very simple. You just need to take few steps and its all done. Here is a small tutorial on how to set up Exchange ActiveSync on your Windows Phone 7 device. (I am using my Office 365 account for an example).
1. If you are setting up your first e-mail account on the phone, tap the E-mail tile on the phone’s home screen and skip to step 4. If this is not your first e-mail account on the phone, swipe left from the home screen.
2. Tap Settings and then tap E-mail and Accounts.
3. Tap Add an Account and select Outlook.
4. Enter your e-mail address and password and tap Sign In. Phone will try to configure your e-mail account automatically. If configuration completes successfully, skip to step 7 or else follow the next step.
5. If your e-mail account can’t be configured automatically, tap Advanced Setup. You’ll need to enter the following information:
- E-mail address This is your full e-mail access, for example [email protected]
- Password This is the password for your e-mail account.
- User name This is your full e-mail address, for example [email protected]
- Domain This is the part of your e-mail address after the @ sign, for example abc.com.
- Server For instructions for finding your server name, see the Finding the Server Name section below.
- Select the Server requires encrypted (SSL) connection box.
6. Tap Sign In.
7. Press OK when Exchange ActiveSync asks you if you want to enforce policies on your phone. Policies let you set a password on your mobile phone and use a remote device wipe to clear all data from your mobile phone in case the phone is lost or stolen.
Finding the Server Name
To determine your server name, use the following steps: (in Office 365)
1. Sign in to your account using Outlook Web App.
2. After you sign in, click Options > See All Options > Account > My Account > Settings for POP, IMAP, and SMTP access.
3. Find the server name listed under External setting or Internal setting. If your server name is in the format podxxxxx.outlook.com, then your Exchange ActiveSync server name is m.outlook.com. If your server name includes your organization’s name, for example, pop.abc.com, then your server name is the same as your Outlook Web App server name, without the /owa. For example, if the address you use to access Outlook Web App is https://mail.abc.com/owa, your Exchange ActiveSync server name is mail.abc.com.
By using the simple steps I told above, You can easily configure Exchange ActiveSync feature of your Windows Phone 7.