Have you ever encountered a situation, where you went to check up the free space on any disk on your Windows 7 computer and found to your surprise that it was displaying 0, even when you knew for a fact that the disk was not full?
Well, if you have encountered such a situation, try to remember when you last ran a Check Disk on the particular disk. Chances are, that it must have been in the recent past.
If you want to try to reproduce this situation for yourself, do the following:
- Open Computer folder.
- Select any “non-system” drive and right-click on it
- Select Properties > Tools > Error Checking > Check now
- Start the check disk utility
- When done, click Close > OK and close the Properties box.
- No press the Back button to go back to the Computer folder.
Here you will see the free space for the checked disk, being displayed as 0 or some random number.
Microsoft has stated that this is a known issue in Windows 7 and that there is nothing to worry about much. All you need to do is press F5 to refresh the status, says KB2691422, and the correct value will be displayed.
Speaking of Check Disk, these troubleshooting links may interest you: