BitDefender recently announced the release of the free BitDefender Security Scan. It is designed to provide information needed to keep Windows machines running safely and smoothly, in a convenient, speedy way, and includes a registry cleaner.
The freeware gives you a detailed report on the status of any security threats and registry errors. It uses BitDefender Quickscan, which takes full advantage of “in-the-cloud” technology to detect active malware in less than a minute, taking just a fraction of the system resources needed by a regular virus scan.
Says Bogdan Dumitru, BitDefender Chief Technology Officer:
“We developed BitDefender Security Scan knowing that people want the minimum of hassle in staying safe online and keeping their PC running smoothly.
Features of QuickScan include:
- AV QuickScan – scans your PC for running viruses, spyware and other online threats – usually in less than a minute!
- Registry Tuning – scans your PC for invalid registry entries that can cause slow downs, freezes or crashes.
- Update watcher – checks for Windows updates which have not been applied yet.
- Security status – checks for the existence and status of security software on your system.
- Scheduled Scanning – sets up recurring scans to ensure your system is safe. QuickScan will automatically scan your PC on startup.
- Antivirus Spot Check – on demand, instantly scans a suspicious file (such as something you’ve just downloaded) for viruses.
I personally did run the tool on my Windows 7 with default firewall running and NOD 32 antivirus. I do not find the tool to be of much use as your Security Center already warns you about such things. It might however be good as a second malware scanner since it uses the latest AV definations from the cloud. Also good if you, need a basic and a safe registry cleaner.
UPDATE: 22nd May 2011. A word of caution before you download the tool. Please read the comments below first.